Spaghetti Squash Pasta with Mushrooms
It can be hard sometimes to find creative ways to get more veggies in your diet. I like to find ways to completely replace the grain in my meal. Like making Lasagna with Zucchini slices, or using Spaghetti Squash!
I prefer the squash to zucchini noodles because the strands of a spaghetti squash stay a little more crisp and are not mushy like the zoodles. However, when zucchini's in season it is a lot cheaper.
Overall, as a pasta, It's much more refreshing, but the mushrooms bring a much needed warmth to the dish.
So if you're interested in replacing grains for a veggie, let me show you how!
Spaghetti Squash with Mushrooms
- Roasting Pan
- Medium Sauce Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- 3 lb Spaghetti Squash
- 8 oz Mushrooms
- 2 Plum Tomatoes
- 1/4 Large Onion
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 6 tspn Olive Oil
- 1 tspn Salt
- 1 tspn Pepper
Total Time: 75 minutes
Servings: 6 (1 cup) servings.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF. Puncture spaghetti squash and microwave for 5 minutes. Cut into 6 2 inch rounds and scoop out the seeds. Season each round with a drizzle of olive oil, a few pinches of salt, and a few cracks of pepper. Leave in oven for about an hour or until strands pull apart easily.
- Dice tomatoes, mushroom stems, and onions. Heat skillet to medium heat. Add 1 tspn of olive oil, tomatoes, mushroom stems, onions, a pinch of salt and pepper. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Finely dice garlic, and add to the pan for another 2-3 minutes.
- Slice mushrooms into half moons and add to the pan for 6-8 minutes, until tender, and remove from heat.
- Once the spaghetti squash is out of the over, use a fork to pull flesh away from skin. Add a light drizzle of olive oil to each round and divide mushroom sauce to each slice.
BE CAREFUL cutting the spaghetti squash! It's a hard vegetable! I REALLY recommend sharpening your knife. A dull knife if much more dangerous to you than a sharp one. If it needs more time in the microwave to soften up, I really recommend giving it a few more minutes.
Some Toppings that would be great with this dish!
Get Creative Guys! Look forward to seeing your creations!