Italian Shakshouka, Eggs Poached in Tomato Sauce
Shakshuka, Shakshouka? Egg in Tomato Sauce!
The first time I had a dish like this was in Seattle I fell in love with the spicy flavor of the sauce and the creamy texture of the egg.
Just yesterday I got a craving for a batch of this saucy breakfast and decided to make it on my own. This recipe came out of using what was available in my kitchen, I encourage you to look at the tips to see how you can modify the dish!
Italian Shoshouka, Eggs Poached in Tomato Sauce
- Small Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- Cutting Board
- 1 tspn Olive Oil
- 2 Scallions (6 Tbspn minced)
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (4 Tbspn diced)
- 1/2 tspn Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tspn Pepper
- 2 Cloves Garlic (1/2 Tbspn minced)
- 8oz Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/4 Jalapeño (1 tspn minced)
- 1/2 tspn Oregano
- 1/4 tspn Rosemary
- 1/4 tspn Thyme
- 1/2 tspn Basil
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tspn Parmesan cheese
- 2 tspn Minced Fresh Parsley
Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Heat a small skillet to medium heat.
- Add olive oil and sauté minced scallions and diced red bell peppers for 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, water, minced jalapeño, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and basil. Simmer sauce for about 7 - 10 minutes until it has gotten a little thicker.
- Crack in eggs and cover for 4-6 minutes until you get the desire yolk.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and minced parsley.
Notes, Tips and Ideas!
I used Scallions because I had just run out of yellow onions, if that’s what you have available I encourage you to use it!
Spicyness: You can totally swap out Jalapeño for Red Pepper Flakes, Cayenne Pepper, or even other chillies like Habaneros or Scotch Bonnet. My only recommendation is to start with a small amount and taste. As the sauce simmers the spice will concentrate.
Tomato sauce can absolutely be substituted with diced, crushed, or whole canned tomatoes and just squashed a bit in the pan.
DIP! What do you do with all this leftover sauce? Use a crusty bread, Warmed tortillas, or pita bread to scoop that stuff straight into your belly!
GET CREATIVE! I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR CREATIONS!
TAG US ON INSTAGRAM @SAVING.FLAVORS AND USE #SAVINGFLAVORS IF YOU MADE THE DISH!