Chicken Fajitas With Bell Peppers
Assemble your own fajitas.
Make this chicken fajitas recipe as an easy family style weeknight dinner. This chicken recipe is juicy, tender, and crusted with a flavorful fajita marinade. Top your tortillas with a heaping serving steaming vegetables, and you are set for this dinner favorite.
What I love about this recipe is its family style preparation. I don’t even take it out of the pan once it’s done. I just heat up some tortillas and chop up some toppings like fresh tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers, and my work is done. Everyone grabs their tortilla and builds their fajita like they like it.
For this recipe I use chicken breast for our fajita filling, but you could easily replace this protein with boneless chicken thighs, skirt steak, or even shrimp. For shrimp you’ll want to make sure not to overcook them. They only need 2-3 minute on each side to be ready.
Bell peppers and onions are the basic veggies in any fajita recipe. But you can definitely add other veggies. I think it’s a great recipe to kind of dump veggies in before they go bad, like spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, cabbage. Throwing food into a dish will save you more money than throwing it into the trash can.
The Lemon Juice
I use the bottled kind for marinades, because fresh lemons and limes are crazy expensive on the island. Half a lemon will produce one tablespoon of juice, if you’re lucky. Each lemon costs $0.99 each! Compare that to $0.03 for a tablespoon of bottled juice, I call that a no brainer. Of course, the flavor is totally different if you’re trying to use it for something fresh like over some fish, so I wouldn’t recommend the replacement for garnishing, but for a marinade? It does the job!
Get your pan to be really hot is very important in this recipe. We use a gas stove top, and sometimes it’s difficult to get to a “low” setting. If your stove top takes a while to heat up, be sure you let that pan really heat up before adding the chicken. You want to hear the chicken sizzle when it hits the pan. If not, it will start to steam and you won’t get that beautiful charred crust.
Chicken Fajitas With Bell Peppers
Servings: 4 Servings.
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Total Price: $6.73
Price Per Serving: $1.12
- Large Pan
- Cutting Board
- Zip-top bag
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
- 2 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- First, start by marinading the chicken. Add chicken breast, fajita seasoning, olive oil and lemon juice to a zip-top bag. Seal the bag and shake until well coated and distributed. Leave the chicken marinading in the fridge for 1 hour, up to two hours.
- Heat a large pan to medium-high heat, and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Sear both sides of the marinated chicken and lower heat to medium, flipping chicken until cooked through. Remove.
- Wipe away charred bits on the pan, and add the pan back to the heat at medium-high heat. Throw in sliced onions, bell peppers, and extra marinade. Sauté veggies until softened a little bit but not completely mushy, you want them to be a little crisp. Just about 5-10 minutes.
- In this time, your chicken breast would have rested and is ready to cut into slices. Add the cute chicken back into the pan for a cute family style presentations.
- Serve with heated tortillas, diced tomatoes, chopped, lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, or any other taco topping you love.
DON’T BE AFRAID TO GET CREATIVE WITH THE RECIPE! TAG US ON INSTAGRAM #SAVINGFLAVORS AND SHOW US WHAT YOU MADE!
I will be honored to feature your creations.